Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Club Nissan Forums » General Car & Club Related Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my 200 progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my 200 progress
    Posted: 10 October 2007 at 18:26
Well this weekend I am going to Santa Pod and the nice people at Apex managed to get hold of a Type2 intercooler kit for me (part of a GB...) - ran down there yesterday and picked it up and been fitting it ever since..

Specs so far:
BKR7EIX NGK plugs (one step colder)
Welbro 255lph fuel pump
Manual ball/spring boost controller (currently set to 11psi)
Type 2 intercooler kit with shiny cold pipe
Elbow back 3" bore Apex exhaust system
3" bore decat (you though my primera was loud... wait till you hear this lol )

Going to a mates garage tonight whoch has a 4 post ramp and going to be changing the diff and gearbox oil ready for pod... hopfully will be able to up the boost to 14psi - but going to take it easy at first upping it bit by bit on the strip to see how she performs. Next mod will be the stage 1 chip which will sort the top end fueling and timing out (standard when it runs at 14psi it overfuels like no tomorrow - helps keep the bores cool and prevents DET.... but you can safley lean it of a touch and play with the ignition timing...)

Estimate power without chip is around 230-240 (200bhp standard) and with chip between 260-280!!

Inbetween that - im going to take it to a body shop and get the surface rust thats under the car sorted - S14a's are starting to rot quicker than a ford!!!

Recently had to replace the turbo gaskets so thats a turbo out job... Whilst it was out I replace the standard oil and water feeds with braided units

old Mani > Turbo gasket

im sure this little lot should not belong here !!

and there ya go!!! As I say - i will be at pod this weekend (All day sat and half day Sunday) so if anybody is there come and find me (will be drunk after around 5pm though haah)
Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I’m The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 20:44
Nice work Steve, shame about the rust mate.

Sod the drag strip mate, get drifting.
IF YOU WANT COMFORT BY A CAR IF YOU WANT SPEED BUY A HAYABUSA 194MPH,QUARTER MILE 9.86 sec @ 145.80 MPH
SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 01:36
been a while since ive been on here and thought i would do a bit of updating!!

From santa pod on Oct:

well just got back - very happy with the car holding together fine! No issues what so ever appart from a touch of clutch slip - bu its on a 90k clutch and it was my first attempt at doing a RWD burnout so things didnt go to plan that time so the clutch got a touch hot lol - was fine after that!

Run times.... 14.4s : 98mph (consitant over 5 runs, 2 others came in at 14.6 (first run) and 14.7 (bogged down on launch)

Not quite sure what to make of this result yet. Boost was upped to 13psi (according to my boost gauge - which i think might be reading 1-2psi to high....)

Speaking to another SX owner who was *APPARENTLY* running the standard wing mount intercooler, walbro fuel pump, green cotton air filter, boost set to 13psi and colder plugs, unknown modified exhaust... he said he was running 14.3 - but when i spotted him on the strip he managed to get 14.1.... hhmm maybe some unknown mods hidden within his engine...

Either which way - im happy that the car got there, did 7 HARD runs (all 7 involved a lenghy burnout and maxing out 3rd gear at 7250 rpm!) AND got me bach home!!

Just going to invesitage the time i got compared to other SX owners to see if its on par or if something can be improved upon...   It maybe down to the fact that the boost dial is reading higher than it actualy is so going to order a new one and relocate it to somewhere more visable and replace the actuator hose pipes with silicone as the ones that are used i dont think they will last a long time with the heat involved!

some pix on the strip (Thanks to Bolf)

SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 01:36
Originally posted by SplanK SplanK wrote:

Well I finaly managed to get back under the car today for a good look..
After fitting my ECU back in, topped up the oil and took it for a drive... parked the car back up and the whole area was covered in burning oil smoke... I killed the engine straight away knowing the problem has now got a LOT worse and looked under to find a lot of oil dripping from the turbo area... great... so then i got it up into the air and had a good look... this is what greated me:

The whole turbo underside of the car is covered in oil

hhmm seems to be coming from the return feed area as suspected

yarp!! the metal return pipe is oil free, and so is the engine above it and the turbo housing

then i start digging deeper - no visable splits on the front... but hand on - if i run my hand behind it there is a BLOODY great big split in the pipe on the engine side.... that explains everything.

it explains everything but these pictures of my oil drowned exhaust though..
Decat pipe towards backbox

the whole decat pipe

and the flexi front pipe I have fitted - the picture is of the first weld after the engine...

Now I can understand the bottom of the engine and gearbox been covered in oil..... but the exhaust all the way down to the decat?!
SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 01:37
its nearly back on the road... just come in from replacing the pipe with a 2nd hand one i managed to get of a local guy of the SXOC - the guy is a hero lol

removed the old pipe to reveal the true horror which was hidden away!

The reason why i think its split... well the nasty hose clamps i got from halfords and also i think the pipe i used last time was 13mm - i now realise it should be 16mm - this put extra stress on the pipe, allong with the clamps cutting into it and the temp that the pipe got to caused it to split... but it held out for about 1000 miles!

replaced these clips with "band" type clips that came with the replacment pipe - seem to be much better for the job...

now - time to nip out to check the oil level and to fire it up
SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 01:37
sicne going stage 1, my clutch has been slipping - not even full stage 1...just 12psi (can go to 15)... gradualy getting worse and worse

so i ordered this little lot!

Act Heavy Duty Organic clutch with a braided hydralic hose (got that free!) and my gear/diff oil which will be replaced next weekend at DCMS in Bradford.... grr - hate not been able to drive it!

Ive also had this little lot lying around for ages so to prevent me going out in it - ive started workin on replacing hoses!

Whilst replacing the hot pipe hoses, I decided that I would see if i can solve my "boost walk" issue... so also removed my MBC and stripped it down... will replace the hose with new silicon stuff!

**mental note - dont loose the ball!**

SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 01:41
Updated Spec list:

BKR7EIX NGK plugs
Welbro 255lph fuel pump
Manual ball/spring boost controller - will be set to 14.5psi
Type 2 intercooler kit
Elbow back 3" bore Apex exhaust system
3" bore decat
Horsham Developments Stage 1 ECU chip
Modified recirc valve
Act Heavy Duty organic clutch

Recent rolling road result at full stage one running 12psi - ran 201hp at the wheels... i esptimate 240whp once up to 14.5psi (which is around 280bhp) rather happy with this as it will show that my engine is running at peak performance as stage 1 is between 260-280bhp average!

Edited by SplanK
gt786 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 00:12

Nice one Steve, still thinkin of sellin??

Think I have a small boost leak on mine  

SplanK View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 00:24
got the standard wing mount intercooler? if so chances are its that as they are common for going.. if you hace replaced or removed any pipes - best bet is to remove, clean the surface - get some wire insulation tape and wrapt it around the pipe a couple of times - this helps seal things up better and get some good solid clamps!

I have replaced all the main hose and clamps now on the main pipes, some smaller pipes replaced... sealed up the recirc valve "constant leak hole" - so hopefully if there was any leak there... there isnt any more! The car was holding boost fine though!

I will be selling the car - when - i was thinking this jan but since im now having to replace the clutch - i want to get my monies worth!
gt786 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 00:15

yes got the wmic, car already has replacement silicone hoses fitted.

luckily my clucth was already replaced about 18 months ago!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic