Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » X-Trail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rattly camchain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petenbev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rattly camchain
    Posted: 14 August 2010 at 19:50

Hi,Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem,Between 2000 & 2500 revs there's a rattly grating noise,we thought it was either a loose exhaust shield,a blowing exhaust or a loose cover somewhere,After a more knowledgeable fellow has taken a look we now know that its the variator which has something to do with the valves and timing.I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem or knew if it was likely to cause any major engine damage if left or we could just put up with it.

Thanks

petenbev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petenbev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2010 at 00:29

Hi for everyones information,I've since learnt that nissan don't have the vvt but a valve lifter system which shifts the valve times when the appropiate oil pressure is reached,So I topped the oil up this morning a little over the max limit,and the noise has stopped completely which is great as nissan quoted me £1200+vat to repair it and that was to replace the cam chain as well.Just hope I haven't got an oil leak now.Just need to change the steering gaiter thingies and the rear brake pads and discs and everything's ticky-taboo.

Any advice gratefully received

crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2010 at 23:49
Thanks for posting the solution
Hope it's still going ok

I think from one of your other posts this is the diesel engine, i've noticed this rattle a few times on this type of engine and not just nissan
petenbev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petenbev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 10:30
Everythings still ok,no oil leaks or noise,Ours is the petrol sport model,I probably mentioned that the noise made it sounded like an old diesel,more like an old black cab.It turns out it was all my fault (surprise!!)I change the oil every six months or so whilst at work and the last time I did it there was a distraction (Which means I actually had to do some work on a night shift)and I never topped the oil up after running it for a while so the oil was probably on minimum for a while,and theres no more oil changes at work due to redundancies not giving us time so it hasn't been changed for about 9 months now.So It would seem I've had a lucky escape for now
DRIFTER View Drop Down
Management
Management
MR JOHNSON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRIFTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 16:53
good news and glad u sorted it
Mick View Drop Down
Management
Management
General Dogs Body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 03:40

Glad you got it sorted.

Mick

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic