Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home ツサ Club Nissan Forums ツサ General Non Car Related Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas heater problems....Andy B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas heater problems....Andy B
    Posted: 02 December 2005 at 21:13

So I decided to light the wall mounted gas heater in the spare room today, it hasn't been used for a while. I went out to fetch Jake from nursery and when I got back the house stunk. Once it had cooled and after removing the cover I found the heater was covered in black soot....

The burner is clean and it is burning blue towards the bottom of the flame but orange at the top. The flue appears to be clear...with the cover removed from in front of the burner the flame keeps changing position, one sec it goes straight up, then back under the baffle which I assume is the fresh air part of the flue, then it comes out of the front cover....

It's a RW Bantam Ecotherm. http://www.cosy-heating.co.uk/robinson_willey_bantam.html

Any tips Andy ?? Apart from get it serviced by a pro

markbuts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 22:44

Andy, any help m8 ??

Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I知 The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:21
Personally Mark I would get rid mate.

If it has sooted up it means that it does not have enough oxy to burn (running rich).Where does the flu go,is the flu used for air supply and products of combustion?Or does it get its air from inside the room?

For the moment mate do not use it as it sounds like it is filling your house with carbon monoxide which will kill within an hour mate.
IF YOU WANT COMFORT BY A CAR IF YOU WANT SPEED BUY A HAYABUSA 194MPH,QUARTER MILE 9.86 sec @ 145.80 MPH
Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I知 The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:23
Right its under 7 KW so it does not need any extra ventilation.You need to make sure that the burnt products are not contaminating the fresh air coming in.
IF YOU WANT COMFORT BY A CAR IF YOU WANT SPEED BUY A HAYABUSA 194MPH,QUARTER MILE 9.86 sec @ 145.80 MPH
markbuts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:32

It's not being used at the moment. I deffo don't want any CO poisoning.

It's a balanced flue, I think I'm gonna have to remove the main heater part and check the flue properly. It goes straight out the back of it through a 9" brick wall and is covered with a terminal guard as it's only about 4 foot from the ground and a couple of feet from a door...

It looks clear from the outside...

It's not old, about 2 years old....

Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I知 The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:36
Mark,it could be burning to much gas.Do you know what the heat input is in KW's net?
Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I知 The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:37
What sort of gas meter do you have mate.Does it have a round dial with a red needle or is number digit meter?
markbuts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:40

It's 2.9KW gross heat input. The net figure isn't stated on it.

Our meter is a digit one.

Andy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I知 The Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 23:47
Right mate.I need you to run the heater at max,Make sure all other gas appliances are switched off.Go out to your meter whilst the heater is running take a reading of the meter reading all digits and time it for 2 mins then take another reading and subtract one from the other and let me know what that figure is mate.
markbuts3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2005 at 00:07

Took me a while to find the gas box key...

7085.7, 2 mins later 7085.8...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic