Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Pathfinder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low Engine Speed "Get You Home" Mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DealerSceptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Engine Speed "Get You Home" Mode
    Posted: 28 September 2011 at 03:33
Back again with a new problem, to be honest this car has been a bit of a nightmare and now it is the last straw, or I wish it was as I can't seem to find out what the problem is.

Okay, the car seems to be going into a "get you home" mode which means that the revs are staying very low, won't go above 2500 rpm and very slow on the uptake.  A mate told me that it would be the turbo, but this doesn't seem to be the issue.  Didn't want to take it to a dealer (useless) so used local garage, their diagnostics found a fault code which meant the fuel pump was at fault, but after clearing the code, the fault didn't log again, they couldn't get the car to go into fault again, but when I got there, and set off, hey presto (starting to think the car just doesn't like me).

Current situation is that the car goes into fault several times per journey now, a restart of the engine sets everything right, even a slight cut out on the ignition of a micrsecond seems to work, but not for long.

I don't want to go into search and fix all mode as this will cost me a fortune, I am worried it may be the ECU then again, whatever it is will probably cost me a small countries GDP.

Any ideas.....  Car is a Pathfinder SVE 2.5d 55 plate.

phatal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 11:53
I had the same problem last year and it was the air flow meter on the air intake. I cleaned mine and now back to normal but just incase it is very easy to replace !!
Samoyedman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoyedman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 05:27
Dealer Sceptic

I know there was an issue with injectors blocking up when using some supermarket diesel some time ago. Nissan I believe have modified the boost pressure and increased the injector diameter on my 190bhp.

Might be worth running some BP Ultimate Diesel / Shell equivalent or a bottle of Redex into the mix.......just in case it is not the air flow meter thing...
Jayster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 22:54
Is the gearbox overheating? I know this is a long shot.We
have a certain type of mini bus at work, that if the
gearbox gets too hot it goes into "safe mode". It
practically crawls so you can get to a home destination...
I've reduced my Carbon Footprint.... By wearing smaller shoes....
DealerSceptic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DealerSceptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 18:48
Guys, thanks for the replies, I will have a look at all of the ideas.  Not sure it is the gearbox overheating but I will get the garage to check that out.

The car continues to have the same problem but fingers crossed it is as simple as the air intake and/or the fuel.  Once fixed I think it has to go, love the car but don't like the issues.

Thanks again.
DealerSceptic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DealerSceptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 00:11
Time for an update and a warning to all those who don't know - Another "Common Fault", I hate those...

Okay, this problem is the fuel pump, after trying a few things, the fuel intake valve was changed which is around £120 for the part plus fitting, that didn't fix the problem so the only other thing it can be (apparently) if the fuel pump, which incidentally is buggered up by the faulty intake valve, so this just means that if the fuel pump is gone... so is the valve, roughly translated I think I am loking at £650 plus just for parts....  I checked on ebay for a fuel pump, there are loads of em at £500 each.....  Ouch.

So it seems that I am looking at a bill for upto a grand, what hurts is that the garage tell me that if we had found it early it would have simply been the valve, but once thats gone the pump goes into overdrive.

Not sure how you will know it's happening, but I hope this helps and prompts anyone who thinks the car might be sluggish on the uptake or going into limp mode (EVEN ONCE) to get the valve checked out.

Dealer quote "we have loads of fuel intake valves in stock, we sell about 2 per day, it's a common fault"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic