Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

almera 1.5 e misfiring/loosing power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Management
Management
General Dogs Body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 00:54
This could be on of a few things.
Firstly you need to check the fan to see if it is running when you switch on. If it is this would indicate a faulty coolant sensor which would alter all your fueling enough to cause bad running and a lack of power.

Have you had a compression test done on the car. It is possible that it has burnt out a couple of valves.

My next port of call would be th dreaded stretched timing chain but this would normally bring the light on if it's bad enough to cause a miss fire.

Mick
Fenwick View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 19:53
Hi Kerri,

don't want to put you down but do you know your way around an engine bay ? This thread seems to be getting a bit confusing.

You say when you turn the car on, do you mean when you start the engine or just turn the ignition on ?

You also say it 'sounds' like the fan comes on, is this the radiator fan in the engine bay, the ventilation fan inside the car or just a humming sound like the fuel pump whirring away ?

Sorry to sound stupid, but if we can identify the problem simply, we may be able to help you get it sorted.

My thoughts too were of early signs of timing chain, but the fan, plugs, etc have thown me Confused

Is the car well serviced and been looked after ?, simple things like a clogged air filter can starve an engine of air whilst under load, or a split air hose can let too much air in and cause similar problems or a damaged vacuum hose, etc, etc.

John.
kajones26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kajones26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 13:06
When I start the car I think its the fuelpump co.stantlymaking the noise the fan doesnt come on atraight away cars been wrll looked after I n a bit around engine baypartially trained in mechanics but haventdone much theres no splits inanypipes and the air filter isclean cant change fuel filter as it oneof the lifetime onesbuilt into the fuel tank
kerri
Fenwick View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 21:16
The Almera's engine management does have a system for the D.I.Y.er to check various systems on the car.
The dealer plugs a unit into the car comm (?) port to read off codes etc, but there is another way to access the information with a 'self check' system that flashes the dash light in a series of short and long flashes.
I think it only does basic info but can be used to find out if systems are working ok. I know one of the features tests the O2 sensor buy letting you know if the car is running too rich, too lean or in spec. It can also be used to check the different positioning sensors (throttle, crank, etc), temp sensor, airflow meter.
I remember reading a section in my haynes manual about it, but having just spent the last hour looking for it....... so can't at this moment in time tell you how to access it Angry
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 22:12
The self diag mode can depend on the age of the car, some Primera's can be read by arcing two of the terminals in the multi plug but you can do more harm than good if you try it on earlier/later models.

Not saying yours can't be done, just make sure your model is compatible first.

I did the the self diag on my P11-144, easy enough to access but counting the series of flashes was a real pain and took a few attempts to get it. Luckily mine was only registering one fault, i'd hate to try to read more than one lol.b The good thing is that once you have "read" the faults they should clear and reset the EML light. Then, when the light reappears you should read it again and find the true culprit, don't leave it too long as one fault will no doubt trigger more fault codes down the line as the ECU will tell the other components to run in an attempt to "cover" the initial fault.

Don't ask me, i just work here!
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 22:19
THIS IS NOT FOR THE ALMERA but it shows the type of procedure.........

only works on the early models of P11-144

Fenwick View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 20:03
Found the haynes, and have scanned the section.

Crazytaxi, seems the same procedure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/highspeedmonkey/August232012?authuser=0&feat=directlink
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 20:57
Thumbs Up

Fenwick View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2012 at 12:56
See other post about losing power, back box problems may explain the overheating issue too ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic