FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not handlng the road and skidded

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fenwick View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not handlng the road and skidded
    Posted: 16 August 2012 at 22:32
Spilt diesel is a nightmare on wet roads (ask any biker), cars are only effected if it's a large spill, just a thought Smile
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 08:35
This sounds very much like Aquaplaning.

Caused by surface water on the road and the tyres not being able to clear the water well enough to keep good grip, thus the tyres ride the top of the water making it feel like your driving on ice and brakes make no difference at all. Braking can cause it to be a lot worse. (tyres touch road surface again and you have either a locked wheel contacting moving road or a wheel moving slower than the road and you end up either in a ditch or a car or just missing something)

I would check the tyres for tread wear, I understand they may have passed the nct and you only had them balanced a few months ago, BUT, they could now be right down the the breakers which means they are right on the legal limit.

Without being able to see the tyres myself I could not tell you, so I would advise you take it to your nearest & cheapest tyre garage and ask them to check them and advise you on the tread depth.

You can get away with a nice set of partworn tyres for half the cost of NEW ones.

Do your shopping and find the cheapest local tyre garage that sells good part worn tyres.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Keep us informed and we will do what we can to help you.

Edited by Ratchet - 07 August 2012 at 08:36
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 23:23
Also i've deleted your other thread, no need to post the same topic in other placesWink

Don't ask me, i just work here!
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 23:21
Welcome to CN

Chances are you just skidded on something on the road but if you are really concerned then you should get it checked, without being able to drive it i can't say if it "seems" to be handling correctly.

Don't ask me, i just work here!
ch1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 13:04
Hi

I have an 01 Almera, a few days ago i was going about 40km on a country road, wet surface and gentle enough bend on a slight decent and the car started to skid across the other side, luckily i was going slow, the brakes had no effect of course but i had just narrowly missed a jeep.

My question is, what could cause this to happen?

Perhaps there was an oil spill but in general it doesnt fel like it handles the road very well

It passed the nct in April so tracking should b fine, i got front wheels balanced a couple months ago.. front suspension is fine too.

I had been on pretty bumpy roads alot lately and wondering if all that could have damaged something

If i make a sharp turn the tension and resistance in the steering disappears and seems to go loose?!

I'm very confused, low on money and concerned about it happening again especially since it happed at a slow speed and i generally drive at thelimits etc

Looking forward to replies, any help greatly appreciated

Chantelle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic