Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Almera 1.4 stuttering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rextherunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Almera 1.4 stuttering
    Posted: 22 August 2012 at 15:29
Hello there,

My 1.4 Almera '98 has an intermitent problem; after cruising at 80 mph for a while and say slowing down for a junction, it feels like it's running on three cylinders then when you hit 4000 rpm plus it cuts in with a vengeance.  It disappears after few miles and doesn't do it every time, nor does it happen when driving in urban conditions where the throttle position is changing. Really irritating. Have so far changed:

Fuel filter
 Air filter
 Spark plugs
 Checked  for error codes, flashed 55.
 plus examined some of the sensors, pipes, valves, linkages and sprayed carb clean 
 down the throttle body.

I don't want to start replacing sensors willy-nilly, so anyone had this problem or know of a simple way of narrowing down the problem through the maze of pipes, valves, etc ?

All replies gratefully received.

'Well, there's your problem !'
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 22:33
What colour were the plugs when you changed them and were they changed just after a run on the motorway, i'm thinking the problem may be overfueling.

And welcome to CN

Don't ask me, i just work here!
rextherunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rextherunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 22:46
Thanks for the welcome !

The plugs were dark chocolate brown to grey in the centres. That's an accumulative build up, not a plug 'chop' . If it's over fuelling, what is the likely cause? It being an intermittent problem makes it a real pain in the hole to diagnose . 
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 23:22
The plugs should be a light brown colour, Overfueling would normally make them black and sooty.

Grey is normally a sign of running lean or too hot, but the dark brown seems to indicate that sometimes there is too much fuel going in, confused? me too lol normally the plus are one colour!

Which plugs are you using and are they the recommended ones for your model, did you go off the spec for the car or just replace them going off what was already in there?
Are the oil and fluid levels good or do you have to top them up.
If the fluid level drops, is this after a long run?

Don't ask me, i just work here!
Mick View Drop Down
Management
Management
General Dogs Body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 00:50
To be honest these didn't give many problems.

Check the condition of the vacuum pipes and then give the throttle butterfly a really good clean. This will probably sort the issue.

Mick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rextherunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 08:13
Thanks again for the quick reply,

Replaced plugs last week with NGK BKR6E. Fluid levels all normal with no discolouration, apart from I haven't changed the oil for a few thousand miles. Not too sure how much difference this would make. Did wonder if it could be the throttle position sensor as intermitant faults are usually electrical. but mechanical ones seem to present constant symptoms. Have heard of lamda sensors doing this as well. Is it going to boil down to substitution until I hit lucky?
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 11:04
Morning,

Not too sure if this one has coil packs or electronic ignition like my Renault 25 (coil pack with dizzy cap and rotor arm)

Either way I'd like say its a coil pack iasue or a dizzy cap & rotor arm issue, with that said, it could also be air temp sensor, idle air control valve or as you said, lambda sensor.

I have noticed all but the lambda sensor don't always give trouble codes to throw up the engine light.

It would help if you knew when the coil pack or dizzy cap & rotor arm were last changed, might even be worth replacing them as a matter or course as I had this problem with a Peugeot...I changed the coil pack and all was perfect again.

Hope this sheds some more light for you
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rextherunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 10:00
Rachet,
 Thanks for the hint on the lambda sensor. Have changed it and so far the car has stopped stuttering as above. Seems to accelerate better and tick over smoother, unless I'm imagining it.  Ta very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic