Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Micra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking Micra - Wet Footwell - Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Micra - Wet Footwell - Help Needed
    Posted: 18 September 2012 at 20:22
Hi

Joined here as maybe someone can help 
Im a non driver but my other half owns and drives a 52 plated Nissan Micra Tempest

Of late we have experienced a problem in that when it rains we get a wet floor in the passenger footwell

The water seems to come from somewhere behind or under the glove box area (the drips come about where the driving controls would be is they where on that side, is that makes sense)

The heavier the rain, the worse the drips

Now I have cleaned out the gutters at the side of the door
I have managed to use a thin piece of wire to clean these out fully and they seem to run off to the drain behind the wheel ok but still we get the leak

I have no idea what else to try and hope someone here can help (mainly in idiots languages as, like said im a non driver, and maybe even with pics)

Anyone able to solve this ?
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 22:50
It is most likely the rain is getting in through the sunroof, check the drain outlets (usually in the wheel arches, you'll find rubber hoses) give them a squeeze to get rid of any crap that is blocking them.

It is rare, but you can get blockages further up the drains, these can be cleared by slipping a thin flexible yet sturdy wire down the drain holes at the sunroof but you need to be carefull not to push the drain tube off the drain hole.

Don't ask me, i just work here!
dunkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 11:20
Ok, now with added photos

What with the torrential rain we have had these last few days the car is soaked
A local garage my other half got to look at it said it was fixed, but this was when it was dry, so obviously the issue never showed, so again im trying to fix myself

Last night, as the rain fell, I tried to angle my camera into the space where the drips where coming from and attached are my findings 

The one pic is very blurred, but the water is dripping from the area of the nut (of which my finger rests on and is near in the pics) and the small "nipple" next to it

If I pushed on the nipple the flow of water sped up !

Any clues or suggestions ?

Mick View Drop Down
Management
Management
General Dogs Body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 21:27
There are only a few places it is likely to be leaking from.
1. The sunroof drain tube (if it has a sunroof) may be blocked
2. The scuttle panel (below the windscreen) is blocked with leaves. Usually you can just clear it out
3. It has had a new windscreen at some point and it hasn't sealed correctly.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Mick
dunkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 12:38
Cheers
Will do

I managed to remove the wipers and as such the cover which sits at the base of the windscreen
Under this cover is what I can only describe as a channel / drain

Along this channel, directly in front of where the passenger seat is and pretty much above where it leaks is a raised piece of metal making what looks like a well into the car (as a complete idiot I would guess this is where the car takes in the air for the air vents etc)

Curiosity got the better of me and I poured a quarter of a pint of water into this "well" and sure enough the water came out exactly where my drips where.  

Above this well and in front of windscreen was a small "clip" which I guess is for the windscreen so I used some clear sealant and went around this and also all along the bottom of the windscreen

Sods law, its not rained since 
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 19:28
It p155ed down round here yesterday and last night as the swamp in the back garden proves so hopefully we have a result?

Don't ask me, i just work here!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic