Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

timing chain i think

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing chain i think
    Posted: 27 December 2012 at 23:03
hey all, nice to have found this forum. i recently bought a 2001 1.5 n16 almera. it has a problem with the engine. when its cold, and even sometimes when its warmed up, there is uneven power delivery. ill push the accelerator and nothing will happen, then all of a sudden i get power five seconds after the fact. 

the engine warning light is on on the dash. ive done a little bit of reading and it seems the chain might be stretched, and this is causing one of the sensors to read an error. 

ive changed  a timing belt on a landcruiser before, though i think 4x4's are easier work with since the engine is mounted lengthwise, where as its mounted sideways in the almera. i donno if this makes it more awkward or easier...

is there a tutorial anywhere online for replacing the chain?

the only other niggle it has is a stuck fuel needle... i thought it was the sender so i pulled it out and had a look mat it, turns out it actually is the needle 

thanks for reading,
redd .
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 02:28

Morning Redd,

Welcome to CN.

The first thing you need to do is get a diagnostic done on it, that will point you in the right direction. It could be something very simple thats causing your issue, Better to be sure than barking up the wrong tree.

Trust me, It's just not fun.

Hope this helps.

Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
Redd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 15:48
good idea. 

this is the first time ive owned a car with an ecu, should i go buy one of those readers off ebay, or bring it to a nissan dealership?
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 17:53

I would take it to Nissan but it's gona be expensive but as i've said in a few other topics, the nissan diagnostics can probe every system & sub-system the car has.

You could also take it to a good garage that does diagnostics but you have the risk of their software not being able to pin the issue and them "try it on" with you, meaning them trying to get more work out you thats not needed.

You can buy the OBD2 cabe but the software that comes with them are only demo versions.
I got mine off ebay...and the demo software will only give you a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) and no description which will leave you hunting the internet for the correct description to your DTC.

All I can say is, It's your choice as to what you do.

All the best.
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
Redd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 15:06
thanks Ratchet.

the car was moving grand with no real problems,

but it wouldnt start yesterday. it tried to turn over then died after half a rotation.

I replaced the battery, still nothing, so thats not it. starter is whirring, but not making contact.
I removed the fuse for the starter trigger wire located under the dash, and the whirring stopped. so I'm pretty sure the starter is turning, but not making contact with the flywheel.

I tried tapping it, and the starter started making some kinds of rumblings, but still not turning the flywheel.

so I tried tow starting it. nothing. gah. i need this thing for work.

since it wont start with a tow, this makes me worry that its not the starter, it maybe something electrical or electronic.

I have a diagnostics guy coming to see it in an hour or so. hopefully that will shed some light on whats wrong. the way things are in Ireland at the mo, it will be more effective to scrap the car, than pay the labour rates. madness, but that's the way it is.

thanks for reading,

redd.
Redd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 18:53
got it sorted. new used starter motor, 80 euros all in. woohoo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic