Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eratic idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eratic idle
    Posted: 02 July 2013 at 21:59
Hi, i have searched previous threads and cant find an answer on this forum.
Just bought a 2000 1.5 and within a few hundred yards of buying it stopped at some lights. Engine management light came on and idle became erratic. Managed to go through town on idle at about 35mph, it did revert back to a lower stable idle speed but then became erratic again. Other than the erratic idle the car ran well both in town and at motorway speeds.
I will get the code checked at a garage but before i can any ideas what might cause this ?
VIZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 11:32
Just to clarify, the idle is surging from about 1500rpm up to 2000rpm and back again every few seconds.
crazytaxi View Drop Down
Management
Management
Board Cleaning God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazytaxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 20:33
As i mentioned in your thread in announcements, it may be the MAF though this is normally shown by the car almost stalling, picking up again, heavy fuel usage and a smell of unburnt fuel.
Another thing to check is the throttle position sensor.

Nissans are prone to stretched timing chains but this normally shows more under acceleration rathe than just idle

Don't ask me, i just work here!
VIZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 18:02
I hope its not the camchain, i think its more likely to be the throttle position sensor or an idle control valve (if its got one).
Unfortunately i have'nt got a manual yet so dont have a clue whats what, does anyone know where the plug is for the code reader as i may be able to borrow one ?
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 21:09
It will be within 2feet of the steering wheel.

I think on this one it's located in the fuse box.

If the engine light is not on then it MIGHT not have any stored codes but it's worth a look anyway as there could be pending codes there that don't put the light on.
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
VIZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 23:01
Plugged in and got code p0505, ICF valve i think, cant remember what its called but looks like i can clean it. I think its on the throttle body.
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 23:34
Yeah you can clean them but in the long run your better off getting a new one.

Yes they are located on the throttle body.

Edited by Ratchet - 04 July 2013 at 23:35
VIZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VIZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 14:43
Took the valve out and it was pretty clean anyway but i gave it a squirt and a clean before replaceing it, made hardly any difference to idle when i started it so left it alone.
Took it out for a trip to the breakers today and the tickover has gone from surging at 1500-2000 up to 2500-3000rpm but eventually dropped down to a steady 1500rpm by the time i reached my destination. Bought a used valve to try.
Left breaker and tickover dropped to about 500rpm and did'nt alter in the whole time i was out so new (used) valve may not be needed.
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 23:50
Well that is strange.

I'd keep the valve for bit just incase you it all goes funny again plus it's nice to have spares in stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic