Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Almera 2001 misfiring problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almera786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Almera 2001 misfiring problems
    Posted: 10 July 2013 at 05:00
Hi all

I'm new here. Ive joined as having problems with car and was hoping someone could advise me whats wrong.

I purchased a Nissan almera from a mate 2 years ago and its been working relatively well, not really had any issues, apart from a faint "vacuum" type noise which I was told by mechanic was the fuel pump. However recently, I've noticed the gear stick vibrates, or moves intermittently when i'm on the motorway (vibrates and the movements can be upto an inch), sometimes when i'm at a constant speed, and sometimes when I accelerate. At the same time, the car seems to "judder", or "shake" as if i'm in too high a gear for the speed (even though i'm in 5th gear at 60 or 70mph). Sometimes I've noticed its happening in first gear. The car is misfiring a lot and does not appear to pick up speed if im trying to go uphill. In fact its caused me near misses as ive joined motorways sometimes and my car doesn't reach the right speed to join on. So im now very weary of driving it.

Now just to add, the engine management light is on, and when checked, its giving the code 117 (something to do with air flow sensor).

Other codes are also showing, and checking the manual this is what I have got so far (however as im not familier with car problems, im not sure what they mean or how to resolve..

The codes i got were
Fault 02
Pend 01

P0300
01/03

P0171
02/03

P0171p
03/03

Ive looked through the manual with the code reader and this is what it says:-

P0171 / Generic/ System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0300 / Generic/ Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Sorry if this is bit simple but could someone explain what these codes and diagnosis mean? Are they major faults or things that are relatively straight forward to fix. Or worse still, is the expense too high to make it worth repairing?

I cleared the codes, and for a couple of hours car was running ok, it was still slightly misfiring but not as bad.

not sure if this has anything to do with it. Was last serviced about 11k miles ago.

finally, I've noticed the speedometer dial now shakes/moves when idle, it never did this until recently.

thanks in advance!

Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 01:01
Sounds like you might have a vacuum leak somewhere to cause the P0171 code and as for the P0300 and the miles it has covered since last service, it sounds like it could do with a new set of spark plugs.

As for the movement in the gearstick, that could be anything from a worn gearbox mount to a worn gear selector rod bush.

As for the movement in the speedometer, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

A new set of spark plugs should sort out your misfire issues, but the vacuum leak issues are little more of a pain to sort, you will have to check all vacuum hoses for any hole or slight cracks and replace them.

Once this is done and codes cleared again you should find the car will run as it should providing there are no more issues that could be hidden by the misfire and the vacuum leak.

Hope this is of some help to you for now.

Let us know if we can help with anything else and we will do our best to help.
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
VerSk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VerSk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 13:35
I recently bought an Almera (2005) and during its quarantine period, when you discover all the problems the previous owner hadn't bothered to sort out as he was selling the car, had several issues with it, one of which was misfiring. Turned out to be 2 things - one of the plug coils needed replacing, and the camshaft sensor. Changed those and problem solved. About £130 for the parts.

If your air mass detector is showing up in diagnostics, it could be that (assuming your air filters OK). Simple to replace, and wouldn't cost much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic