Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Qashqai
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust smoke - what is acceptable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the4thamigo_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust smoke - what is acceptable?
    Posted: 20 October 2013 at 09:59
I recently bought a 2010 1.5 dci with no DPF. When I start the engine I get a few seconds of whitish smoke (perhaps some blue but difficult to tell). I took it back to the dealer and they said they replaced the value seals, but I am still seeing smoke. What level of smoke is considered acceptable here? Never having owned a deisel before, I perhaps nievely though that modern deisel engines didnt really produce much smoke at all... any advice?

This is a video I took after the repair (if they in fact did  anything at all!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjfjhWGUMo&feature=youtu.be
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 18:52
Hello and welcome to CN.

Had a look at your video and the smoke you are seeing is normal for a diesel motor.

I have an old 94 Renault Extra 1.9 diesel with over 160.000miles on it and it smokes a little like that and sometimes a little more when it's below freezing outside.

What you have is nothing to worry about at all

Hope this helps
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic