Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Club Nissan Forums » Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A/T switch on a Mistral Terrano

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrano Choons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/T switch on a Mistral Terrano
    Posted: 23 January 2006 at 21:56
Does anyone know what the A/T switch does on the Mistral Terrano 2.7 TD 1996 Import type. The switch has "Power" and "Hold" in bottom position. As I'm not clued up much with Auto transmission, I'd love to know. Cheers!

stracyznski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stracyznski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:02

sounds like it's some sort of diff or traction setting, like for driving on snow or on soft ground. However, I'm not a 4x4 expert. Maybe Mick might know better.

Anyway, welcome to the club. It's good to see more 4x4 out there. How about posting up a pic or two...

AL...

Terrano Choons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrano Choons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:06
Thanks for the reply. Havnt got pics at the mo.

Who's mick ??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stracyznski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:12
Mick is the gaffer on here. He's got a Patrol so may have come across this switch before...
AL...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stracyznski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:15

I'm guessing this is what you have...

AL...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrano Choons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:20
That's the one. I'm new to  4 x 4 's.  and enjoying every minute of them!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stracyznski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:20

In the mean time I've found this....

Re: Re: A/T switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcatt
Our 2000 4WD 4dr Tracker has the A/T switch. I believe it adjusts the shift points on the automatic transmission so that you can get more power (and lower fuel efficiency) when pulling a trailer. "P" is power, "N" is normal. We never use ours, just leave it in "N". Ours has a 3 speed with overdrive (4 speeds total) and runs about 2800 rpm at 70 mph, so I would say you are not shifting into overdrive. Ours has a small switch on the side of the shifter lever that uncouples the overdrive when pressed in. A light comes on in the dashboard in that condition as well. Now, with your A/T switch unhooked, you may also have the overdrive switch unhooked. I'd check this out.

That switch performs 2 functions. I modifys the shift point to shift at a higher rpm underload and when shift selector is put in 2nd it forces the trans to start in 2nd to reduce the torque to the rear wheel to reduce wheel slippage on slick surfaces.
AL...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrano Choons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:27
Thanks for that info.

So I've got a 2 way retractable "A/T" switch

Ie. Mid position "off"
     Up position " Power " ( which Is the same as "Sport")
     Down position " Hold"

What is the hold position for ?

Still puzzled!stamble();

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stracyznski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:30

I read it as the Power setting gives you a sports box with a bigger power band, while the hold setting gives you better tractions for towing/snow and such...

AL...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrano Choons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 22:34
Sounds good to me!

One last query! Where can I get the english version of the Mistral Torrano  1996 import  type user manual, please?

Previous owner only had Jap. version!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic