Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Pathfinder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pathfinder coolant loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pattycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pathfinder coolant loss
    Posted: 07 April 2010 at 18:13
Hi All,

Sorry for cross posting this, also in the Tech forums, didn't know which one would be better.

looking for help here on long-term coolant loss from Pathfinder 2.5 YD25ddTi engine 64k miles T-Spec.  System refilled and pressure tested by Nissan dealer, no fault found.  Recently called out RAC as car overheated, coolant in header tank (on min), no coolant in radiator.  Taken to different garage, refilled, pressure-tested to 3 bar for 15 mins, no leaks found.

Within 200 miles of this, heater only blew cold air.  Car stopped, 3 litres of water put into radiator.  No rough running or white smoke from exhaust.  Local garage now suggests taking the cylinder head off to check to see if the gasket is blowing.  Nissan main dealer says 'bring it in and we'll have a look', but seeing they didn't find anything last time, is it worth it?  Out of warranty. 

1.  Is a look at the cylinder head  reasonable?
2.  Why is there an airlock in the system so that there's coolant in the header tank and none in the radiator?
3.  Any other suggestions (I know US petrol Pathfinders from 05 have a history of trashing the automatic transmission because of radiator leaks, but I'm assuming that this has no bearing on UK manual diesel cars).
4.  Could it be something to do with the heater matrix?

The car's going in on Friday, if there are any good suggestions out there, I would like to pass them on to the mechanic.

regards

Ralph
Mick View Drop Down
Management
Management
General Dogs Body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 01:22

Hi Ralph.

I hate to say this but it does sound like a possible head gasket. However i would also suggest getting the cylinder head pressure tested incase there is an internal crack. A new head gasket may cover the fault for a short while but if there is a crack it will start overheating again.

Mick

Pattycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pattycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 12:25
Thanks Mick,

will let you know what they find,

regards

Ralph
Pattycake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pattycake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 13:37
Hi All,

see the main thread here

Thanks for your help.

regards

Ralph
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic