Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Micra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

K12 Micra PS Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K12 Micra PS Fault
    Posted: 15 August 2011 at 22:42
Seems a common issue this, My wife bought a Micra K12 on my advice (i've been happily driving primeras for years) we needed something reliable.

First week we owned it the PS light came on a few times, each time turning the car off and on again cleared the fault.

The car had been fine since until today when i went to move it the PS light came on, power steering was lost and there is no way I can get it to come back on.

Now I really can't afford to get this fixed but I can get a second user steering column which I gather includes the PAS unit, however I'm not sure if I can just replace like for like, one post I've seen suggested that the PAS unit has to be linked with the ECU

Also are there any other potential pitfalls I should be aware of? My brother is a mechanic and he suggested that I'll need shear bolts.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 19:41

eps faults are common usually its the angle/dwell sensor what thay tell you cant adjust, a second hand or a recon unit is the way to go new eps motors can be £500+

The eps is linked to the ecu via the bcm theres no issues with the ecu if you just swapping the units over

Another thing to try is removing the battery for 10-15 min so the ecu and bcm resets, bcm faults are common problem (dont forget your need the radio code)

ittim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 10:25
I thanks flash,

Any idea how easy it is to recondition the motor yourself? My mechanic brother seems to think it wouldn't be to much trouble. Also where can I get shear bolts from? I've no idea what they are but I gather they'll be needed?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 12:13

Shear bolts are the bolts that hold the column in place as you tighten the bolts to correct torque the heads "shear off"

you will have to goto a main bealer for the column bolts

ittim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 15:23
will they also be a problem to remove?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 17:14
more than likely
thompsonmike View Drop Down
Established Member
Established Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompsonmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 14:05
Well I am also planning to buy a Micra but after going through such major problems I think I shoulds be considering the other options too.
ittim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 14:11
I bought the K12 because of the reliability i've had on my previous Nissans, but since this and having a google around it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the Micra, the K12 anyhow.

Its rather disapointing, i'm lucky that I have free labour from my brother, others wouldn't be so lucky.

We're planning on reconditioning the PAS motor ourselves first and see where it takes us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic