Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Pathfinder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another King Cab question (or 2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another King Cab question (or 2)
    Posted: 22 October 2012 at 13:50
I recently asked about what turned out to be a 2.3 TD23 Nissan King-cab pickup, in 2WD.  There is a big chance I've missed the boat on that one but I have another option lined up.

This time another King-Cab.  1988, 140,000 miles on the clock, 2.4 litre petrol engine (about 110bhp or so: 78kW in local money), 4WD.

Last time, Ratchet only really had encouraging things to say about the TD23 engine 1990 model diesel when asnwering my last cry for help and advice.  That was good to read 

How about the 2.4 petrol lump then?  Any better?  Any worse?  Can I assume the petrol engine is as solid as it's noisy cousin?  Are there any known issues I should factor in.

Finally, assuming the diesel is still up for grabs at the weekend, which should I go for?

A 1990 2wd 75bhp diesel with unknown mileage and needing a new set of tyres but at €1300.
or
A 1988 2.4 petrol with 140K on the clock, full tyres but a heftier €1500 asking price.
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 13:34
The 2.4 petrol engine is the one my friend in USA had in his 2WD version as I said it had almost 600.000miles on it, at 255.000 it had a new timing chain kit and went on to blow it's auto gearbox a few years later (which we replaced for him) it then did it again close to the 600.000mile mark.

The engine is solid but the auto gearbox is not quite as solid. I would advise the Manual gearbox with this engine.

If I was you I would go for the 4WD as you already know more about it, plus you get the bonus of 4WD so you wont get stuck anywhere this winter of if you want to go playing in the mud.

Same goes for the petrol as with the diesel, regular servicing and checks on the cooling system will keep this beast going for years.

If the engine sounds a little bit noisey check the oil level, if thats all good then it will be the timing chain guides being worn which is a simple but time consuming job but once done it will last another 200k.

With this being a king cab it should have the 2 seats in the back and plenty of load space in the bed.

Good luck with this one.
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic