Club Nissan Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home » Model Specific » Almera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gear selection problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enbee85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear selection problems
    Posted: 18 November 2013 at 00:19
Hi.

Hope someone can help
I have a 51 reg Nissan almera. Having problems selecting 1st gear and reverse. I really have to force it in and when its in reverse it won't release.

I cannot find my hydraulic fluid to test levels either. Maybe I am blind.
Only had the car 6 weeks so a bit peeved
Thanks guys
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2013 at 16:44
For some cars the clutch & brake fluid are in the same reservoir (the brake fluid reservoir) this is normally located on the bulkhead under the bonnet. IF the fluid is low FIRST check your brake pads as the fluid will drop as your pads & clutch wear down, if your brake pads are ok then I would have the system topped up (with the right fluid type)and bled properly to make sure there is NO air in the system.

Once that has been done I would ask the mechanic to check the bite point of the clutch...this should be pretty close to floor as you release the clutch.

If the bite point is all good then there could be an issue with the gearbox.

Hope this helps
Qualified ABC Diploma Level 1 & City & Guilds Level 2 Mechanic
enbee85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enbee85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 23:06
Thanks for your reply. Yep the gearbox has gone. Not happy.
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 23:23
Not the best of times to have a gearbox go out.

You can get them on ebay and other local scrap yards quite cheap, Since you'll have the gearbox off the car you might as well put a new clutch kit in while your at it and also check with Nissan on the service life of the clutch slave cylinder as some need to be changed when the clutch is changed as they have weak seals.

Might be a bit costly now but in the long run it will save you cash.
enbee85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enbee85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 23:35
Do u know roughly how much? Always before xmas isn't it. Grr
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 23:56
Yeah, always the way, everything before Christmas or just after..

Just did a quick search on ebay...nothing in detail but I'm seeing some on there for £80-£200 plus delivery or collection in person.

Worth shopping around some local scrap yards around Nottingham or even Lincoln...There's one in Skellingthorpe, Lincoln called Mr Mole, he's really good (known him since I was old enough to sit under a car and take bits off..lol..I grew up in Lincoln)

There's some others dotted around Lincoln and Nottingham so it's worth making phone calls.
Ratchet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 00:03
Also make sure the gearbox number match with you old gearbox...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic